Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What makes Gober Post Frame better than their competitors?

A: Gober Post Frame builds every building with pride. . The trusses are set on 4’ or 5' centers, unlike many post-frame builders that set their trusses on 8' or 10' centers in order to cut costs. The trusses are a key element of a building's integrity. The more trusses you have, the better the structural integrity. Our trusses are engineered . Several other companies will build their trusses on the job site and never have proper engineering. We also run our end posts all the way up to the rafters, rather than stopping at the ceiling joists and using a "dummy" truss. This gives our buildings greater structural integrity, as well as a higher wind load resistance. We NEVER use sheet metal known as “seconds”, which typically does not carry a manufacturer's warranty. We only use #1 Primary Metal, produced by the most reputable metal suppliers in the industry. We use solid sawn posts that are fully treated, unlike other companies that will only use treated lumber in the ground and untreated lumber above the ground. These posts typically consist of 2x6s that are glued or nailed together; therefore the strength is only as good as the glue or the nails. We set our posts 3' (minimum) into the ground for a more solid footing and to ensure that the post is below the frost line.


Q: Do I need to have the building pad level?

A: Yes. Gober Post Frame does not provide excavating. You will need to have the building pad as level as possible.  Gober Post Frame levels the building from the highest part of the ground. If the ground is not level there will be a gap under the building where the ground slopes. The ground needs to be within 3" to 4" of being perfectly level in order to use our standard pole lengths. This may require hiring an excavator or using a builder's level to determine if the ground is level.


Q: What happens if the Gober Post Frame begins the construction of my building and they determine that the building pad is more than 4" out of level?

A: This may require some additional material (longer poles) in order to begin construction. Sometimes 5x5 or 6x6 posts are difficult to find in certain areas, so a delivery may be required. The cost for any additional materials and deliveries must be paid by the customer. Some people want to put metal skirting at the bottom of the wall to cover the gap caused by the slope of the ground.

Gober Post Frame  does not recommend skirting because it will make the building appear unlevel. Skirting will require additional material and labor at a cost to the customer. Additional cost will also be incurred by the customer if the building crew is forced to pull off the job while the building pad is corrected or if they are forced to wait for additional materials. Ask Gober Post Frame for more information about preparing your site.


Q: Can I pour a concrete slab in the building after the construction is completed?

A: Yes. Gober Post Frame uses a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 CCA treated bottom plate around the bottom of the building. This board can be used as a form for pouring a concrete slab. Concrete can normally be poured through the large door opening. If the concrete contractor requires additional access to pour the concrete then some wall metal could be left off and installed by the customer after the concrete is poured. In some instances, Gober Post Frame can set the posts for the building and pull off the job until the concrete is complete. This may require additional cost for travel expenses for the crew.


Q: Can Gober Post Frame provide the concrete slab for my building?

A: Yes, Gober Post Frame can meet all your concrete needs.


Q: Can my building be installed on top of a concrete slab?

A: Yes. You will need to make your Gober Post Frame aware of this, so the materials can be figured properly.


Q: Do I need to have a permit to have a Pole Barn constructed on my property?

A: Maybe. Some counties or cities will require a building permit. The building requirements and restrictions are very different in every area. It is the customer's responsibility to check with the local building inspection office to identify any building restrictions that may be enforced. The customer is responsible for the cost of a building permit, if one is required. Gober Post Frame can provide detailed construction drawings and talk with the building inspector to assist in the process of obtaining a permit or determining if one will be needed for construction of a Post Frame Building. Occasionally, a municipality will require site specific Engineered Sealed Drawings for your building. Gober Post Frame can provide engineered drawings and modify the construction of the building, if required. The engineer requires a payment for this service, which is due upon completion of the drawings. Ask Gober Post Frame for a price for this service.


Q: Do I need to have electricity at the job site?

A: Yes. The customer is responsible for having electricity at the job site or they must have a generator available for the builders to use during construction. Generators can typically be rented for a daily rate.


Q: What happens if the builders encounter rock while digging the holes?

A: An additional fee of $35 per hole for difficult digging will apply if the holes cannot be drilled with a hand held auger in a reasonable amount of time (typically requires five minutes per hole). Customer will pay the amount due for the additional labor that is required. If the auger and rock bars cannot provide adequate post hole depth, then the customer will be responsible for providing any equipment necessary. Equipment would typically consist of a jackhammer and compressor (which can be rented from a local supplier). In some cases a bobcat w/auger or a drilling rig may be required. The builder will determine what type of equipment will be needed.


Q: Is there any advantage to use Galvalume metal instead of Galvanized metal?

A: Yes. Galvalume metal has a protective coating and has materials in the metal to prevent rust. Galvalume metal has a 25-year limited warranty, but Galvanized metal does not have an extended warranty. Galvalume and Galvanized metal have a silver finish.


Q: What is the difference between 29 gauge and 26 gauge metal?

A: 29 gauge metal is in the range of .014 to .017 thickness, while 26 gauge metal is in the range of .018 to .021 thickness and is available at additional cost.


Q: If I use painted metal on my building, can I use more than one color?

A: Yes. It is very common to use as many as three different color options. Gober Post Frame has more than 19 different colors to choose from. Color charts are available for approval. Colors are normally indicated for the roof, walls, and trim and wainscoating.


Q: Do I need to send a deposit when I order a building?

A: No. Gober Post Frame collects 60% of the building contract price when the materials are delivered to your building site. The remaining 40% is collected when the building is completed. Price of concrete is paid after concrete is poured.


Q: When I send in a contract, how long does it take before construction begins?

A: Gober Post Frame will contact you by phone to verify that the contract was received and to estimate an approximate start date. We will always strive to work around your schedule on deliveries and construction.  Gober Post Frame constructs each building in the order that it was received. Weather conditions and production will affect the lead time. Gober Post Frame will contact you prior to delivering the materials to arrange a day and time for making the delivery.


Q: Can I purchase a material kit from Gober Post Frame and construct the building myself?

A: Yes. Gober Post Frame can provide material kits for any size building. Detailed construction drawings are available for construction assistance. Factory built trusses are available to eliminate the task of constructing the trusses on site. Gober Post Frame  has insulation, walk-doors, windows, vents, cupolas, horse stalls and all the hardware and accessories that you will need to construct your building.


Q: Can Gober Post Frame install an overhead door in my building?

A: Yes. Gober Post Frame can install what ever size door you may require. Most overhead doors will require approximately 24" of clearance for overhead track. Example: If you order a 10' tall building, then the maximum door height that you can use is 8'.


Q: Will I need to pay any additional taxes for my building?

A: No. All applicable taxes are included in the price of your building.


Q: Can I use my farm tax exemption number?

A: No. Most states consider the contractor to be the final user of the building material and require the contractor to pay all applicable taxes.


Q: What is the life span of the treated lumber?

A:  Gober Post Frame standard posts have a .40 CCA treatment. The manufacturer has a limited warranty for 40 years, but the life span of the post should far exceed 40 years. A .60 CCA treatment is available for additional cost and has a 60-year limited warranty from the manufacturer. Post Protectors are also available to offer additional protection from moisture and termites; they have a lifetime limited warranty.


Q: How should I ventilate my building?

A:  Gober Post Frame has ridge vents, gable vents, cupolas, and closure vents . Any of these products will offer sufficient ventilation and can be used in combination with each other.


Q: Why don't you have a price list?

A: Gober Post Frame services many states. Delivery charges and local building codes can effect the price of your building. Due to the many buildings and options that are available, it is difficult to have an accurate price list available. Contact Gober Post Frame for pricing on any building.


Q: What type of horse stalls can Gober Post Frame install in my building?

A:  Gober Post Frame offers factory produced stall fronts. Our stalls offer flexibility for color customization and options such as: swing-out feeders, drop down doors, etc.


Q: Will my metal building have condensation?

A: Maybe. The laws of physics dictate that a metal building exposed to humidity will collect moisture at times. However, if you insulate your building or use a concrete floor, or both, you will virtually eliminate condensation.


Q: I have always heard that skylights leak: Is that true?

A: The truth is that sky-lites require maintenance. Unlike the rest of your pole building, which is virtually maintenance free, skylights may need to be re-caulked every 3-5 years to prevent leakage. You should be aware that if you insulate the roof of your building, skylights should not be used.


Q: What is the difference in wall height and ceiling clearance?

A: The post-frame industry uses outside wall height as the industry standard for measuring size. A 10' wall height (or eave height) does not mean that there is 10' of clearance inside your building. Typically if you have a 10' wall, your clearance inside is approximately 9'4" because of header plates and ceiling joists. If you build up your floor with concrete then you will take away additional clearance.


Q: Does Gober Post Frame build custom buildings?

A: Yes. Gober Post Frame can customize your building to fit your needs within certain boundaries. We can build wall heights of 10', 12', 14' and 16'. We can build any width up to 60' and any length imaginable. We allow the customer to select the options that they desire and determine the location for all door and windows, as long as the structural integrity of the building is not jeopardize.



All Rights Reserved